turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akliushin

SSN/ITIN for my son

TurboTax asks me to enter SSN/ITIN for my 2 years old son but i don't have one. To get ITIN for my son i need to complete W-7 form. And instruction for W-7(https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf  page 3) form tells " Leave the area of the SSN blank on the tax return for
each person who is applying for an ITIN". I cannot proceed with Federal Taxes/Health Insurance as TurboTax shows "Just a sec, we found a few things to fix before we can start
Let's go to Personal Info and fix:
Missing birthdate(s)
Missing Social Security numbers
Two people having the same Social Security number
Once that's done, we'll be ready to give Health Insurance another start (no rush)". Any help?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

SSN/ITIN for my son

Enter "Applied For" in the social security number slot under the Personal Info tab, if that doesn't allow you to proceed to file by mail try the SSNs shown below. Then when printed, white out the number.

What is Form W-7: Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number? Prepare a Form W7, for each person who needs an ITIN, then include it with the required documentation with your return.  File the return to this address.

Internal Revenue Service

ITIN Operation

PO Box 149342

Austin TX 78714-9342

For more information you can use this link:     IRS - W7 Instructions

FYI, this applies to the current tax year, 2016. Follow these steps to prepare your return for mailing.

1. Complete IRS Form W-7.
  2. Complete your federal and state tax returns using the number 999-88-9999 in place of a Social Security Number.
  3. Print the tax returns and cross off the 999-88-9999 from the SSN field. Do not attempt to e-file your return.
  4. Write "Applying for ITINApplication attached" next to the SSN field.
  5. Mail the signed federal return, the completed Form W-7, and all documentation required by the Form W-7 (Alternatively, you may choose to take all this information in-person to a local IRS office for processing.)  
  6. If you need to file a state tax return: Mail the signed state return and a copy of Form W-7 to your state's regular filing address. 

New health insurance information is shown below about answering the questions.

Can I file my return without providing information about my health insurance?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

SSN/ITIN for my son

Enter "Applied For" in the social security number slot under the Personal Info tab, if that doesn't allow you to proceed to file by mail try the SSNs shown below. Then when printed, white out the number.

What is Form W-7: Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number? Prepare a Form W7, for each person who needs an ITIN, then include it with the required documentation with your return.  File the return to this address.

Internal Revenue Service

ITIN Operation

PO Box 149342

Austin TX 78714-9342

For more information you can use this link:     IRS - W7 Instructions

FYI, this applies to the current tax year, 2016. Follow these steps to prepare your return for mailing.

1. Complete IRS Form W-7.
  2. Complete your federal and state tax returns using the number 999-88-9999 in place of a Social Security Number.
  3. Print the tax returns and cross off the 999-88-9999 from the SSN field. Do not attempt to e-file your return.
  4. Write "Applying for ITINApplication attached" next to the SSN field.
  5. Mail the signed federal return, the completed Form W-7, and all documentation required by the Form W-7 (Alternatively, you may choose to take all this information in-person to a local IRS office for processing.)  
  6. If you need to file a state tax return: Mail the signed state return and a copy of Form W-7 to your state's regular filing address. 

New health insurance information is shown below about answering the questions.

Can I file my return without providing information about my health insurance?
akliushin

SSN/ITIN for my son

Got it! Thank you so much!
DianeW
Expert Alumni

SSN/ITIN for my son

You're welcome and thank you for using TurboTax!
kpbang

SSN/ITIN for my son

Hi, Whether the same above technique holds good for 2017 filing also ( This year).....? I need to apply ITIN for my son.  My plan is to use Turbo Tax to prepare the returns but do a paper filing. However I am confused how to declare him as dependent in the 1040 Form when he is NOt having the ITIN. Should I follow the above technique of "Applied For " or "  999-88-9999"? Does it still hold good? Please clarify. Thanks

SSN/ITIN for my son

Disappointed that TurboTax doesn't have a better way to address this .. But this let me complete the application online
vjaddu

SSN/ITIN for my son

Hi,  My plan is to use Turbo Tax to prepare the returns, but do a paper filing.  In the dependent section , I put "Applied For".   Also Instead of  sending documents to Austin ()need to send  original passports and birth certificates, I booked an appointment at the IRS office and  file the paper returns and W7 there.  All the new H1B holders with me followed same procedure. From Next year you will be able to use online filing.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies