Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tphi96

How do I file for a tax extension in 2018 if I haven't finish / submit my 2017 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
RenataS

How do I file for a tax extension in 2018 if I haven't finish / submit my 2017 tax return?

You need to estimate your tax liability amount when filing extension. 

tphi96

Thank you.  What do I put in the AGI question when filing my extension as I haven't submit my 2017 tax return yet?
RenataS

You can estimate that amount too based on income documents you have for 2017.
tphi96

Thanks for the fast response.  I input my estimate amount and submit the extension.  IRS rejected my extension application.
RenataS

What is the reject code?   it should be in the rejection email.
RenataS

Try entering zero for last year AGI
tphi96

I tried to reply with the reject code but it's not allowed.  I will submit extension again with AGI $0.  Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies