Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello i still havent received my w2 from a previous employer and i recently moved and do not have my last paystub with them either how do i proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Hello i still havent received my w2 from a previous employer and i recently moved and do not have my last paystub with them either how do i proceed?

You have a few choices in how to proceed.  The first would be to contact your former employer and ask them to send you a copy.  This is your best option.  If that doesn't work, here are your choices:

1. Call the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When calling, be ready to give the following information:

• Your name, address and Social Security number.
  • Your employer's name, address, city, state, zip code and telephone number, even if your employer has gone out of business.
  • Dates of employment.
  • An estimate of the wages you earned and the federal income tax withheld. Your estimate should be based on your final pay stub of the year or earnings statement, if available.

The IRS will call the employer and advise them to send you your W-2s.

2. Obtain a Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS which shows data from information returns they receive such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Current tax year information may not be complete until July.  You can do so online or by telephone.  Go to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-return-transcript-types-and-ways-to-order-them for more information. This may not be available for 2016 yet.

3. Request Form 4852 from the IRS or download it and mail it in. Form 4852 is a substitute W-2. You are allowed to estimate your wages based on your final paystub. TurboTax can guide you through filling out Form 4852.

If you do file your taxes using Form 4852, you will have to amend your return once you receive your W-2 or W-2C if amounts on the forms are different from the filed Form 4852.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies