turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Im a single mother of 2 children, ive only worked a few months throughout the year. How do I file my taxes to get the best return ? There father hasnt helped at all.

The children's father and I have been together for 5 1/2 years, we broke up mid 2015. He did not help hardly at all all year, He spent most of his money on drugs and drinking. So I finally made him leave, and he hasn't helped at all ever since nor seen them. We have filed our taxes jointly the past 4 years, but now I need to figure out the best way to file with both of my children. I have worked about 3 months of the year, my boyfriend has been helping me support the kids and what not. I do not have any W2's, but I do have all of my check stubs. I need to file as soon as possible so I can buy my children new clothes and everything else they need. Just have to figure out how to do this correctly and legally. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Im a single mother of 2 children, ive only worked a few months throughout the year. How do I file my taxes to get the best return ? There father hasnt helped at all.

If you have not lived with him at all during the last 6 months of 2015 and have your children living with you, file as Head of Household.  You will get Earned Income Credit as well as Additional Child Tax Credit even if you do not owe taxes.  So by all means file your own return as Head of Household.

If you did not get a W-2, how did you make money?  If you were self employed you will have to complete Sch C and pay self employment tax.   You will probably still come out ahead by filing.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Did you live him at all during the last 6 months of 2015?

Not at all. He has been working for his father - Roofing, and has been paid under the table. He wants me to file jointly so we will get more and he can take half although he hasn't helped support our children at all. His father was going to make a fake 1099 and I do not want to be apart of that. So, I'm working on filing child support, and getting full custody of the children legally. Although technically I already do since I have had them for over 6 months and he hasn't seen them.

Also, My daughter was born in February of this year. I never received her social security card/number. Do I have to get it first in order to file? I'm sure I do, But I really need to get this done as soon as possible to support them. It takes awhile to get the number since I have to do a application and what not. I have all her paper work from the hospital from when she was born and stuff.

If you have not lived with him at all during the last 6 months of 2015 and have your children living with you, file as Head of Household.  You will get Earned Income Credit as well as Additional Child Tax Credit even if you do not owe taxes.  So by all means file your own return as Head of Household.

If you did not get a W-2, how did you make money?  If you were self employed you will have to complete Sch C and pay self employment tax.   You will probably still come out ahead by filing.

Also, My daughter was born in February of this year. I never received her social security card/number. Do I have to get it first in order to file? I'm sure I do, But I really need to get this done as soon as possible to support them. It takes awhile to get the number since I have to do a application and what not. I have all her paper work from the hospital from when she was born and stuff.

Thank you so much for your help, It means a lot. I have been struggling with trying to figure this out for weeks. I do not want to mess up or anything.

You cannot file without a SSN.

Ok thank you, Also one last question. It says I must have a Form 8332 from their father agreeing I can claim the children, but I can not get a hold of him or anything... So how do I go about doing that?

If the children live with you, you do not need that form.  That form would be if YOU wanted to allow HIM to claim the children as dependent.

Do you know how long it will take me to get my daughter social security number? I have to go pick up her birth certificate on Monday, and I can go to the social security administration office Monday morning as well. But will I be able to get her social security number that day? Or do I have to wait for it in the mail? My sons social security card was mailed to me within a few weeks of his birth. But I never received my daughters, which kind of worries me.
Sorry for all the questions, but its great to have help.

It usually takes a few weeks but they will tell you when you go there.

Oh wow... well, this is bad news. I really need to get my return as soon as possible. I have a vehicle payment past due and I can't lose my car... Which of course I need to start my new job next week, take kids to daycare and etc. :( Thanks for everything. I hope you have a nice day. I appreciate your time.

you don't need an SSN for a child born this year, to file your tax return for last year. The child's name is not entered.

If she does not enter the child's name of the return she will not get the associated credits due her.

oops. silly me. February hasn't happened yet so it must have been Feb of last year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies