turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

You do not make this easy!!! When i printed my 2018 federal return I did not see that my 1099-R was recorded. How can I check to see and correct?

I just want to know where to go or who to talk to, to check if my 1099-R was enter on my 2018 Fed Tax Return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanaB
Expert Alumni

You do not make this easy!!! When i printed my 2018 federal return I did not see that my 1099-R was recorded. How can I check to see and correct?

On Form 1040 you can see retirement distribution on line 4.

If you filed already and you want to open the return back up to check your entries then please follow the instructions below but be careful not to make changes.

1. In TurboTax Online, sign into your account.
  2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2018, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this opens the return back up)
  5. Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099R”.   
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099R”

If there is an error on your filed return then you will need to amend your return by following the steps below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7276596

my efile was rejected. The directions from TurboTax are to attach my 1099R to the front of my 1040SR. How do Print the 1099R form? It was not printed in my forms to send to the IRS.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Do you intend to fix the e-file problem and then try to e-file again? If so, you do not need to worry about attaching any 1099-Rs to your return.

When you e-file, TurboTax takes your tax data and converts it to XML, a tagged data language (as opposed to a print language with lines and boxes and shading). If any forms need to be attached, they will be attached in XML - you have no way to see this (and it wouldn't mean much to you anyway).

If you intend to print and mail, on the other hand, in the Print Center, I believe that you are offered 3 different sets of forms. The largest set has everything of interest to both you and the IRS - this is good to have in case you decide to use a tax pro next year, because the worksheets will contain useful information. The smallest set is, I believe, just the minimum set of forms that need to be mailed. In this case, please read your filing instructions (part of the set of papers) to see if it tells you which forms to make copies of and attach them to the return before mailing.

As part of the large set, you should see worksheets for each 1099-R you entered. In addition, the taxable distributions from IRAs will be found in line 4b on your 1040, and the taxable distributions from pensions and annuities will be found on line 5b. The gross distributions for teach of these MIGHT be found in lines 4a and 5a, but might not be, thanks to the truly odd instructions the IRS has for these two lines.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies