Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dhemin-

I was approved for an extension. Am I to request an installment plan with the IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I was approved for an extension. Am I to request an installment plan with the IRS?

You can request an installment plan when you file the actual tax return.  The IRS won't approve an installment plan if your return is on extension and not actually filed.

When you proceed to file your tax return (now you have until October 15th), you are asked how you want to pay your taxes. You would choose "Installment Plan" and you'll be led to complete the required form.

Remember that an extension extends your time to file, not to pay. If your return is ready to go, but you just don't have the money, file ASAP and get that installment plan started.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840416-can-i-set-up-a-payment-plan-for-my-taxes

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You can request an installment plan when you file the actual tax return.  The IRS won't approve an installment plan if your return is on extension and not actually filed.

When you proceed to file your tax return (now you have until October 15th), you are asked how you want to pay your taxes. You would choose "Installment Plan" and you'll be led to complete the required form.

Remember that an extension extends your time to file, not to pay. If your return is ready to go, but you just don't have the money, file ASAP and get that installment plan started.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840416-can-i-set-up-a-payment-plan-for-my-taxes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies