turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I need to enter my credit card information when choosing the free option to file an extension on my taxes?

I do not owe anything on my taxes for 2018. I am trying to file an extension, but though I have chosen the free extension and Turbo Tax free addition, the online addition when I go to file the extension still requires me to give my credit card information. Why is it asking for credit card information when I do not owe anything in taxes and I am using the free tax service getting a free extension? What is this information used for?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Renee11

Why do I need to enter my credit card information when choosing the free option to file an extension on my taxes?

You can file an extension for free under the TurboTax free product and if you select not to pay any taxes it will charge you $0. Filing an extension under "Free Edition" does not necessarily mean that when you complete your taxes you will still be using the "Free" version. 

Each version of TurboTax is designed to handle different tax situations and their associated forms. Your tax situation may end up being more complex and may require you to upgrade to a different version of TurboTax.

The payment info will be stored on your account. When you file your 2018 taxes using TurboTax, any stored payment info can be used to pay for the TurboTax software you end up using at that time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies