turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jj1578

Am I subject to self employment tax? The income reported on line 21 was a commission received monthly from a one time referral to a company that I do not work for.

I have already submitted my return and just received notice from the IRS that I may be subject to self-employment tax. I receive a commission payment monthly, but it is from a one time referral to a company. I did receive a 1099-MISC  (non-employee compensation) from that company. I am not sure as to how I should respond back to the IRS. I looked at schedule SE and it seems as though it wouldn't apply to my current situation.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
shkcpa

Am I subject to self employment tax? The income reported on line 21 was a commission received monthly from a one time referral to a company that I do not work for.

You actually submitted a tax return, not a refund, to the IRS.  Any amounts reported to the IRS on 1099-MISC are usually subject to self-employment tax.  How you are paid or what generated the payment is irrelevant.  If you don't assess yourself the tax IRS will do it for you & send you a bill.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies