turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

adams-2

My son is a dependent. He received a 1095-A for a Marketplace Plan he had for January and February. Should his premiums be included on our return? 2nd request.

His 1095-A was uploaded with ours.  I need this answer before we file.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My son is a dependent. He received a 1095-A for a Marketplace Plan he had for January and February. Should his premiums be included on our return? 2nd request.

Yes, you will need this information for your return if you are claiming him as a dependent.  He does not reconcile this on his return in this case.  Please see this IRS website for more information:  https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/heres-what-you-need-to-do-with-your...

Basically, when you claim someone as a dependent, the IRS assumes that you are making sure that his health care needs are covered, since, if he cares for more than 50% of his own support (and health insurance is included in that support), he would not be a dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will need this information for your return if you are claiming him as a dependent.  He does not reconcile this on his return in this case.  Please see this IRS website for more information:  https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/heres-what-you-need-to-do-with-your...

Basically, when you claim someone as a dependent, the IRS assumes that you are making sure that his health care needs are covered, since, if he cares for more than 50% of his own support (and health insurance is included in that support), he would not be a dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies