Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

psharma

I am on L1 and want to claim returns dependent benefit for my kid who is on L2. Can I do tax return while I also apply for his ITIN

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I am on L1 and want to claim returns dependent benefit for my kid who is on L2. Can I do tax return while I also apply for his ITIN

What is your citizenship status?   What dates have you been in US on the L1 visa?  Are you married?

TurboTax can only prepare a US citizen or resident alien return.   It cannot prepare non-resident alien or dual-status returns.   Answer those questions and someone familiar with international filing should be able to assist you in determining your eligibility.
psharma

Thanks for prompt revert.
I am married. I am resident alien living in US since 25 Oct 2015 on L1 Visa. My kid join me as dependent ( L2 ) from India this year and was there with me whole year. I need assistance in filing returns for this year while requesting ITIN for my kid.

I'll ask someone familiar with international filing to assist you.  I'm not sure when they will get the message.
In the meantime, someone else may assist you in this thread today.

@bine22  Are you available again to help another filer?   Thanks!

Yes, you can can and actually have to apply for the ITIN together with your return.

Turbotax does not support form W7, so you would have to download and fill that out separately.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf

When you enter your child into Turbotax, enter a "dummy" ITIN like 99-999-9999 (or similar, but starting with a 9).

When you are done, print your return or save it as pdf and white out/delete that number. Write "“ITIN TO BE REQUESTED”  instead and attach form W7 to the top of your return, together with a certified copy of the passport (certified by the issuing agency or alternatively two other documents listed in the instructions for form W7).

Instructions: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw7/

Send your return to the address in the instructions for form W7. They will process the ITIN request and forward your return afterwards for further processing.

Make sure you send your return before the deadline, or, if you request an extension, before the deadline for the extension, as you would not be eligible for the child tax credit otherwise.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies