turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jac3

Does turbotax deluxe CD 2018 cover stock sales? I am specifically asking for the CD version not the online version.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Does turbotax deluxe CD 2018 cover stock sales? I am specifically asking for the CD version not the online version.

Yes, the Deluxe CD version can handle stock sales and will import your investments. However, TurboTax Premier CD version offers additional help for customers with investment income.

Please view the link below if you would like to view the Turbo product comparison page.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

View solution in original post

8 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Yes, the Deluxe CD version can handle stock sales and will import your investments. However, TurboTax Premier CD version offers additional help for customers with investment income.

Please view the link below if you would like to view the Turbo product comparison page.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

wrangler1

Can you also confirm whether the Deluxe version available at Amazon in the link below can also handle stock sales? 

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/C52B1BEF-37D0-48CE-89E4-527DAD18FE21?channel=dtr1_26

If yes, what differences are there between the Deluxe and Premier versions? 

It is not clear what additional help the Premier version can provide below.

Additional Help for investment sales such as stocks, bonds, royalties, mutual funds and employee stock plans

Thanks.

@wrangler1 wrote:

Can you also confirm whether the Deluxe version available at Amazon in the link below can also handle stock sales? 

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/C52B1BEF-37D0-48CE-89E4-527DAD18FE21?channel=dtr1_26

If yes, what differences are there between the Deluxe and Premier versions? 

It is not clear what additional help the Premier version can provide below.

Additional Help for investment sales such as stocks, bonds, royalties, mutual funds and employee stock plans

Thanks.

All the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions have the same forms, schedules and worksheets.  So any edition of the TurboTax software to be installed on a personal computer can be used to report a stock sale.

Go to this TurboTax website for an overview of the desktop editions, scroll down and click on View Formshttps://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/desktop/

wrangler1

Thank you!

Just a follow-up if you purchase the Deluxe edition - When you are in the Investment section of the program and start to enter an investment sale, the program will take you to a screen asking you to upgrade to the Premier edition.  Note that this is a Recommendation only and Not required.  Just click on the button to Continue with Deluxe.

Just bought the Deluxe 2019 download desktop version and you can import or enter the stock sale information. The system recommended me the Premier but Deluxe works for my simple stock sales. This covers 1099-DIV, 1099-B.

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

The main difference between Deluxe and Premier is that if you have trades that need adjustments, such as employee stock sales or options, Premier provides really good guidance for figuring and reporting the adjustments. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RonneC

Unfortunately, not so with the online version.  Using the Online Deluxe, it says it is required to get premier for a 1099-b.  For getting cashed out of less than one share of stock due to a split, total value $36, turbotax insists on upgrading to premier for an additional $90!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies