Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jonicqua

Can i claim my brother as a dependent if he has been in the hospital most of the year and i supported him ? He is 27

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can i claim my brother as a dependent if he has been in the hospital most of the year and i supported him ? He is 27

Yes, if he meets the conditions of a Qualifying Relative, which are:

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year (excluding temporary absences, such as an extended stay in the hospital)
  • They made less than $4,150 in 2018.
  • You provided more than half their financial support. I have included a link to the IRS' Cost of Keeping Up a Home Worksheet

When you add someone as a dependent, TurboTax will ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.  

Additionally, a relative that is too old to qualify as a child might be able to qualify you for Head of Household if you're not married or otherwise qualified for Head of Household. A qualifying relative for this would be: 

• Your mother or father, if you're qualified to claim them as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such) OR
  • A relative related by blood, legal adoption, or marriage other than a parent (child, brother or sister, grandparent, nephew, aunt, uncle, step-parent, in-law, etc.) AND lived with you for more than half the year AND that you're able to claim as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such).

I'm sorry to hear your brother has spent most of the last year in the hospital.  I'm sure that's hard for everyone.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, if he meets the conditions of a Qualifying Relative, which are:

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year (excluding temporary absences, such as an extended stay in the hospital)
  • They made less than $4,150 in 2018.
  • You provided more than half their financial support. I have included a link to the IRS' Cost of Keeping Up a Home Worksheet

When you add someone as a dependent, TurboTax will ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.  

Additionally, a relative that is too old to qualify as a child might be able to qualify you for Head of Household if you're not married or otherwise qualified for Head of Household. A qualifying relative for this would be: 

• Your mother or father, if you're qualified to claim them as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such) OR
  • A relative related by blood, legal adoption, or marriage other than a parent (child, brother or sister, grandparent, nephew, aunt, uncle, step-parent, in-law, etc.) AND lived with you for more than half the year AND that you're able to claim as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such).

I'm sorry to hear your brother has spent most of the last year in the hospital.  I'm sure that's hard for everyone.

jonicqua

Thank you ! He was hit by a car in march.  Since tgen i travel daily , cook , clothe , entertain and groom him . he cant walk yet . think it will still be another 6 months for that.  Then hell be living with me anyways . i appreciate your input . and did claim him for the year
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies