Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alyand72

I claimed my son as dependent and he filed his own taxes. He has health insurance through market place.

Market place consider my income for his insurance?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I claimed my son as dependent and he filed his own taxes. He has health insurance through market place.

Yes, if he is claimed as a dependent on your return, you will need to enter his 1095-A on your return.  His Premium Tax Credit is then based on your income plus his.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Yes, if he is claimed as a dependent on your return, you will need to enter his 1095-A on your return.  His Premium Tax Credit is then based on your income plus his.  

alyand72

What I need to do if I forgot to add his 1095-A?

How long ago did you file?  The IRS should catch this error, but once in a while they dont
alyand72

I filed my taxes on Saturday and yesterday his taxes.

Ok, so the IRS will likely send you a letter telling you, you need to fill out form 8962.  To do that in TurboTax you will just log back into your return by clicking add a state, then you will click on the Health Insurance section walk through and say Yes, I had one of these types of coverage.  Then enter the 1095-A.  However, do not do this until you get the letter from them.  If they miss it and process your refund, you will need to amend.  So wait until your return is fully processed before doing anything. It is MUCH slower this year so it may take a bit longer than normal due to the gov shut down.
alyand72

Thank you so much
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies