turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zthakid

What if i didnt have health coverage for january and february of 2016, and dont have an exemption certificate?

is there anyway I can get exempt for those two months without coverage?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

What if i didnt have health coverage for january and february of 2016, and dont have an exemption certificate?

Yes. Generally, a short gap of coverage of two months or less will be covered without having to have an exemption certificate. When you walk through the healthcare section of the application you'll mark that you were covered for most of the year, and mark those months on the following screens. 

Keep in mind that any month that you've had one day covered counts as the entire month. If you have had 3 or more months without coverage you may have to file an exemption, and TurboTax may assist you in filling out a form. I've attached some additional information about exemptions through TurboTax:

You can enter the information to obtain that healthcare penalty exemption by following the directions in the FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4234967

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeeM

Yes. Generally, a short gap of coverage of two months or less will be covered without having to have an exemption certificate. When you walk through the healthcare section of the application you'll mark that you were covered for most of the year, and mark those months on the following screens. 

Keep in mind that any month that you've had one day covered counts as the entire month. If you have had 3 or more months without coverage you may have to file an exemption, and TurboTax may assist you in filling out a form. I've attached some additional information about exemptions through TurboTax:

You can enter the information to obtain that healthcare penalty exemption by following the directions in the FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4234967

Manage cookies