turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tieptle

I didn’t work in 2018 but earn 2k in income from saving account. This will be my only income. I am a dependent. Do i have to file taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I didn’t work in 2018 but earn 2k in income from saving account. This will be my only income. I am a dependent. Do i have to file taxes?

Yes, as a dependent, your standard deduction for earned income is $12,000, but it is much smaller, $1050, for unearned income.

*For 2019, the standard deduction amount for an individual who may be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer cannot exceed the greater of $1,100 or the sum of $350 and the individual’s earned income (not to exceed the regular standard deduction amount).

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, as a dependent, your standard deduction for earned income is $12,000, but it is much smaller, $1050, for unearned income.

*For 2019, the standard deduction amount for an individual who may be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer cannot exceed the greater of $1,100 or the sum of $350 and the individual’s earned income (not to exceed the regular standard deduction amount).

h_phan6

So in this case, if my 1099INT is less 1050 then I do not have to file taxes if I do not work?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If that is your entire income, then no.

State filing requirements may be different.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies