Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Year Old Issue? Can't eFile State Taxes Even After Federal eFile Already Accepted???

Hey everyone... super anxious here...

Yes I understand, if I didn't eFile Federal and Tax together, then I have to eFile Federal first, wait until Federal eFile is accepted by IRS, then eFile State.

(Source: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/state-taxes/e-file-state-already-filed-f...)

But I've already eFiled Federal, read "Your 2023 Federal Return: Accepted" under "Check E-filing Status", and received text message confirming the acceptance. Still can't eFile State though. 

My particular error message is already 5 returns eFiled and software can't eFile more than 5 returns.

It's true we've already used up our 5 Federal return eFiles, but I'm NOT trying to eFile another Federal.

If I'm not misunderstanding, the error is due to Intuit somehow failed to recognize my Federal eFile had already been accepted. Every time I attempted to eFile my State it forced itself to eFile Federal AND State but since I couldn't eFile another Federal so I couldn't eFile State with it either. Again, looks like Intuit somehow doesn't know my Federal eFile has already been accepted!

Found this issue in forum every year, looks like there was a solution in 2019, but the link to that thread is inaccessible.

My product:

TurboTax Premier (sold by Costco), Desktop on Mac

I confirm:

- No error in any form; 100% accuracy guarantee

- State eFile fee paid

Things I've tried:

- Quitted TurboTax, restarted

- Logged out of my Intuit account

- Uninstalled TurboTax, reinstalled

- Installed all updates

- Called Support, obviously they called me back after 1 hours but nobody spoke on the other side, waited for 5 min on the call, the other side hang up. No surprise at all.

Any idea??? Super frustrated now. Thanks for your input.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Year Old Issue? Can't eFile State Taxes Even After Federal eFile Already Accepted???

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies