Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wrong W2 and dont have check stubs to verify pay

So I received an incorrect W2 from my employer back in February, I informed them that it was wrong by like $15k

they said they would get it fixed, I’ve asked numerous times for an updated W2 and still nothing. I also cant access my check stubs online because they switched companies so many times I can’t find them. How should I go about filing my taxes if I only have the wrong W2? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MelodyB
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Hi there!

You have several options here.  You can go ahead and file with the incorrect W-2 and then file an amended return when your W-2 is corrected.  Remember the IRS is going to be looking for your W-2 to match what the Employer reported, which is the wrong amount.  Therefore you can't just correct your W-2 on your own since it won't match what your Employer reported.  Your 2nd option is to wait until it is corrected.  This can be very frustrating for an employee!  Especially is you have a refund coming and now you have to wait to claim the refund that you are due.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rschule1
Expert Alumni

Hi There:

Unfortunately time to correct the situation has almost run out, although it does not hurt to call your employer and request that a corrected W2 be issued electronically. In the event that this is not possible, you might be able to get the IRS to intercede by calling 1-800-829-1040. In the event that there is no resolution by the due date of the return, then to mitigate possible penalties, I recommend filing a tax return with existing W2 information by due date of the return and then amend for refund after a corrected W2 is procured.

BettieG
Employee Tax Expert

Hi @madisenfaith!

Thank you for your question!  I'm so sorry that you're in that predicament!

Your situation is specifically addressed by the IRS on it's website:  "I received an incorrect Form W-2.  My former employer won't issue me a corrected Form W-2.  What should I do?"

In essence, you can request that the IRS initiate a Form W-2 complaint, and the IRS will send your employer a letter requesting that they give you a corrected Form W-2 within 10 days.  The link above has instructions on how to initiate the complaint (either call the IRS at 800-829-1040 or make an appointment to visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center).  The IRS will also suggest you file Form 4852 in the event you don't get the corrected W-2, which will allow you to file your tax return on time.

Given that there are only a few weeks left to timely file, I suggest you contact the IRS right away to start the W-2 complaint process.

I hope this helps and good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies