Wrong 1099-B form due to my mistake, and broker re...

Wrong 1099-B form due to my mistake, and broker refuses to fix it

I was relocated to US in July 2019 and I was a nonresident alien. But I made a mistake when filling tax certificate in Morgan Stanley portal. I should have filed a W8-BEN form as I was nonresident for full year in 2019, but instead I filed W-9. As a consequence, the sold stock after that will be reported on 1099-B form and become taxable. Had a call to broker and they said they cannot fix it, as the transaction already happened after W-9 was filed. The 1099-B form has not been ready yet, is there any chance to fix it? Or is there any way to justify this to IRS when filing my tax return?

If you don't report it, you will more than likely get a letter from the IRS about it.  I would just wait for the letter and respond to it in writing and explain the situation.

I think that's too risky. I'd like to see if this is lawful or not first, to avoid any potential penalty, as the stock sale payment is large.

The key to my issue is: With my true situation, the stock sale income is not taxable:

• I was nonresident and stayed less than 183 days in US in 2019.
  • the stock sale income is not an US income (vested before I came to US)
  • the stock sale income is not effectively connected to US trade or business
  • According to IRC section 871 (a)(2)  the capital tax should be exempted.

But it was my mistake in the process of transaction that I was filing a wrong withhold tax certification forms so that the income appears in 1099-B form. Will it help if I attach a paper explaining my situation in my tax return?

If you want to be proactive, you can attach a statement and a copy of the 1099-B to your tax return.