Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hkim872

Working abroad but have a traditional IRA, why do i owe penalty?

I live and work abroad in Europe but have a traditional IRA account in the states that i contribute to under the limit and turbotax is saying I exceeded the amount of my income although I contribute way below what I make abroad. so it's now saying I owe penalty. Is it possible to offset this? or do I always have to pay the penalty as long as I'm contributing to my retirement investment account? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

You must have US taxable income to contribute to an IRA.  If your taxable US income is less than the amount you contributed to the IRA, there will be a penalty for an excess contribution.

For 2023, the total contributions you make each year to all of your traditional IRAs and Roth IRAs can't be more than:

• $6,500 ($7,500 if you're age 50 or older), or
  • If less, your taxable compensation for the year
hkim872

does my 1099 DIV/INT count as taxable income? it's so low like under $500 and that's all i have. how do i avoid this in the future? 

No.  It is taxable income but you need Earned income like W2 wages or a Net Profit from self employment on Schedule C to contribute to a IRA.  You need to remove the contribution and any  increase from the IRA or you pay the penalty each year it stays in the account.  

And to avoid it in the future you can't make any more contributions at all.  

hkim872

okay got you thank you both for the help! i guess i will have to pay the penalty for now and figure out a different way to invest besides from IRA contributions 😭

dmertz
Level 15

Under the automatic 2-month filing extension for living abroad, you have until June 17, 2024 to obtain a return of your excess 2023 IRA contribution to avoid the 6% excess-contribution penalty.  If you fail to obtain this corrective distribution by the due date of your 2023 tax return, you'll have the penalty again each year until the excess is resolved by then obtaining a regular distribution of the excess amount.

to remove an excess you must use the correct request form i.e. "removal of excess plus earnings"

@hkim872 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies