Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bahooverrrr
Returning Member

Work days outside of New York

Hello, I've been reading many discussion posts and answers about working in NY as a non-resident. I get that your NY income is subject to tax if you work remotely by choice/convenience and not because it's a necessity. The part I'm a bit stuck on is putting a number in the box for days worked "Outside of New York" and "Worked Outside of New York at Home". My thought was to put 0 for both since any days that I worked at home in New Jersey, it was for my convenience and therefore those are still considered NY work days. Am I thinking of this wrong? I worked from home for 183 days out of 209 days. Should 183 go in the box for "Outside of New York"?Screenshot 2024-02-11 092312.png

For more details: I elected to allocate wages to NY by number of days, my period of employment is 209, there have been 60 weekend days, 4 holidays, and 7 other nonworking days. Now I'm at this Work Days Outside of New York screen. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Work days outside of New York

You are correct.  If you did not have a bona fide office for the convenience of your employer outside of NY state, then you would enter zero for days worked outside of NY and zero for days worked from home outside of NY.  Therefore the total NY workdays should be 209.  That you worked 16 of those days at home in NJ becomes irrelevant. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies