Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Withdrew from a partnership, but my ex business partner said no K-1 was generated for me?

I withdrew from a partnership in 2020 and transferred ownership to the other partner. That partner filed the return with Turbotax desktop and said no K-1 was generated for me, but I'm pretty sure I am supposed to receive a K-1 marked "final" (regardless of how much income was made), and was confirmed by a CPA.

Am I to assume my ex partner completed the return incorrectly? And that we will need to file an amendment?

This partnership return was already accepted, as today (3/15/21) is the deadline.

Thanks for help and insight!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Withdrew from a partnership, but my ex business partner said no K-1 was generated for me?

It depends.  When did you withdraw and what documents were provided when you withdrew? 

If you and your partner were the only members of the partnership, when you withdrew, there ceased to be a partnership at that point. 

There would have been a requirement for a final partnership return to show the income and expense allocation upon dissolution of the partnership. 

After your withdrawal, the entity ceased to exist and the business would have operated as some other type of entity with its own filing requirement.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

I'd assume that.....you should have gotten a K-1.

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

It depends.  When did you withdraw and what documents were provided when you withdrew? 

If you and your partner were the only members of the partnership, when you withdrew, there ceased to be a partnership at that point. 

There would have been a requirement for a final partnership return to show the income and expense allocation upon dissolution of the partnership. 

After your withdrawal, the entity ceased to exist and the business would have operated as some other type of entity with its own filing requirement.

Thanks for that insight @JeffreyR77 

I withdrew in Q3 2020, and what we did was notify the secretary of state, and as far as notifying the IRS, I just assumed that would take place in the return that was just filed 2 days ago.

And we didn't encounter the final partnership requirement that you mentioned. It sounds like we will need to file an amendment to get this sorted out properly? Can we ask for help from a TurboTax pro for that?

Thanks

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax does not offer Tax Advice or support for Turbo Tax Business returns. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies