nekuss

With 1095-A refund went WAY up and then HALF WAY down when I restarted

After I entered my 1095-A my refund went way up.  I understood why - my actual income was a lot less than my expected income (as reported to Obamacare), so I get money back (premium tax credits).  But then the next day I restarted TurboTax, and now the refund, although still very large, is very much lower.

I was actually ALARMED by the first amount, because it seemed ridiculous.  The second amount seems more reasonable - I looked at the 8962 that TurboTax filled in and the numbers seemed "reasonable".  (I didn't look at the 8962 the first time).

I may just go with the second amount, as being what TurboTax calculated when "thinking it through again" after it restarts.

Any other suggestions?

BMcCalpin

It is not a good idea to watch the refund amount too closely when entering data in TurboTax.

That is because TurboTax sometimes has to wait several pages or even data entry in another section before updating to the correct amount.

I don't have enough information to conclude which amount is correct, but it is smart of you to do a "reality check", because sometimes the intermediate refund or tax due just won't be correct until you finish some section or close and reopen.

BMcCalpin