turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Windows 11 does not support TT

My computer recently crashed. My new computer has Windows 11 and is 64 bit. I tried downloading the 2023 TurboTax, which I lost when my old computer crashed, but it says that Windows 11 does not support TurboTax.  I still have the 2023 tax files saved on an exterior drive. I need the program so that it can populate the 2024 tax program when I download it.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

If you downloaded from Intuit and got that error message, then contact support.  If you downloaded from somewhere else, you may be trying to download a corrupted software.

Make sure you have updated Windows.  So try updating and then reboot your computer and update Windows again to make sure you got all the updates.  

Are you running Win 10 or 11 in S mode? You need to switch out of S mode.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/switching-out-of-s-mode-in-windows-4f56d9be-99ec-6983-11...

Troubleshooting installing on Windows
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/troubleshoot-installing-and-running-turbotax-...

Are you using the CD or Download?  This might have some ideas to check,  Reinstall Turbo Tax for Windows 8.1/10/11
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/reinstall-products/reinstall-turbotax-wi...

My computer is a Dell desk top and is only a week old. It was fully updated on day one, but I have continually checked for updates every day, and there are no updates. I see from past comments that this issue with Windows not supporting TT goes back for at least two years. The TT 2023 download version for desk top computers was downloaded from Intuit when I purchased it from Intuit (Turbo Tax) last year.

Supplemental.  When I contacted Turbo Tax support (India), I was told I had only used two of the five downloads, so I should still have three remaining.  When I follow the link the provided to download, that is when TT indicates that Windows 11 does not support TT.  I explained this to the person on the phone, but there is a language barrier (India). 

No I was saying if you are in S to TAKE IT OUT OF S.

I just did some research about "S" mode, and I found out that it is a security feature only available on Windows 11 when  downloading certain programs from the app store.  Once you opt out of the S mode, Windows 11 it will not allow you to return to its original state. So, I do not believe I will go that route at this time. Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless. 

@PipiR wrote:

Once you opt out of the S mode, Windows 11 it will not allow you to return to its original state. So, I do not believe I will go that route at this time.....

If you don't go that route, you will not be able to install TurboTax. 

S mode only allows you to install and run apps from the Windows store.

@PipiR   So you are in S mode?   S mode only lets you download from the Microsoft App Store.  If you take it out of S mode you can still download from the App Store.   Your computer just won’t be as secure.

Final Update:  I was able to somehow find a "back door" to accomplish the task of downloading the 2023 TT program. I discovered that I had previously signed in to my Intuit account with one name, and a different user name on Turbo Tax. The license was only linked to one of those accounts, and as a result, one account was not recognizing the license.  Once the license was linked to the correct user name, it allowed me to download the 2023 TT program. I now have it up and running and have finished transferring the 2023 tax files. I will now be able to populate the information once I download the 2024 tax program. All is good. Thank you all for your assistance. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies