Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will the TOP still offset my currently filed taxes for this year? Or is there something in the stimulus package that is going to stop the offsets?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Will the TOP still offset my currently filed taxes for this year? Or is there something in the stimulus package that is going to stop the offsets?

I may be out of touch, but what is TOP?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The current specs on the 2020 stimulus checks have not been agreed on yet ... however stimulus checks in the past have been taken for outstanding tax bills.  

Treasury offset program 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

"Past-Due Debts: The credit cannot be reduced for certain unpaid debts, including debts owed to a federal agency (excluding child support), past-due state income taxes, federal taxes, or unemployment compensation debts". Ref: Congressional Research Service COVID-19 and Stimulus Payments to Individuals: Summary of the 2020 Recovery Rebates in the March 22 ...

Note the work "proposed" on this information that is several days old ... that proposed legislation was not approved and had been modified since then ... until the Pres signs the law into play and the powers that be can issue directives and forms everything is just a guess.  Don't expect the money anytime soon ... those checks could take a month or 2 to be issued ... if it happens sooner be happy but don't plan on spending it until it is in your hands. 

The offset isn’t for past taxes it is for a federal student loan.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Since the CARES Act is still working its way through Congress and has not been signed into law, there are some questions that can't be answered definitively at this time. Please check for updates here TurboTax Corona Virus Update Center and here IRS Corona Virus Update Center.

nluberis

Is there any update on this. I want to know if I can now file and my offset will be ignored so I can get a refund 

I doubt they will ever forgive prior year tax debts ... only thing I have heard is they stopped taking the refund for past due federal student loans only.  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies