turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will the IRS adjust my taxes if I don't send in 1040A and 8962 form? It says I have 20 days. I don't want to go through hassle of sending it in.

Irs 1040a form and 8962
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Will the IRS adjust my taxes if I don't send in 1040A and 8962 form? It says I have 20 days. I don't want to go through hassle of sending it in.

The IRS has been told by the Federal Marketplace (or a state marketplace) that you had insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare").

Taxpayers who enrolled in this insurance typically received Premium Tax Credits based on your estimated income for the year (which you made when you enrolled at the beginning of the year). These tax credits were paid directly to the insurance company to reduce your premiums.

At the end of the year, you are required to file form 8962 with your tax return to determine if the amount of tax credit paid during the year was appropriate for the amount of income that you eventually reported at the end of the year. If you were paid too little, then you get a credit on your return; if too much, you are charged for the overpaid credit.

If you do not file the 8962 in a timely manner, the IRS is likely to assume that you were not due any Premium Tax Credit at all, and will send you a letter stating that you owe X dollars along with penalties and interest.

It is definitely in your interest to respond to that letter in a timely manner.

[Edited 4/2/2020 1:54 pm CDT - typos]

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The IRS has been told by the Federal Marketplace (or a state marketplace) that you had insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare").

Taxpayers who enrolled in this insurance typically received Premium Tax Credits based on your estimated income for the year (which you made when you enrolled at the beginning of the year). These tax credits were paid directly to the insurance company to reduce your premiums.

At the end of the year, you are required to file form 8962 with your tax return to determine if the amount of tax credit paid during the year was appropriate for the amount of income that you eventually reported at the end of the year. If you were paid too little, then you get a credit on your return; if too much, you are charged for the overpaid credit.

If you do not file the 8962 in a timely manner, the IRS is likely to assume that you were not due any Premium Tax Credit at all, and will send you a letter stating that you owe X dollars along with penalties and interest.

It is definitely in your interest to respond to that letter in a timely manner.

[Edited 4/2/2020 1:54 pm CDT - typos]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies