Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ryanhajek

What if I'm being claimed as a dependent on my parent's taxes?

I'm in my first year of college. Last year before I started college I worked and made about $4,500 at a job. Knowing this, do I need to file my own taxes if my dad is claiming me as a dependent for last year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies

No and and yes, if your father is claiming you as a dependent, you give him your w2's and he should be able to file this with his- if he is sole parent, married filing jointly, or you are under 24 years of age./  Also, be sure to click on the Academic Education Credit, it is used as a credit or deduction for your father, and it if shows as credit, you get this back as a refund.
Carl
Level 15

You will not give your W-2's to anyone. Ever. The student will file their own tax return, regardless. My response in this thread explains everything, as per IRS Publication 970 at <a href="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf</a>
SAB123

I'm a single mother, did not work last whole year and my dad claimed has dependent. I need to provide my affidivit of support . can i use my dad income as proof?? Reply asap help needed urgently.. Thanks

For what purpose do you need an affidavit of support?
SAB123

Im sponsoring one of relative for immigrant visa . Thanks for your reply

If this is for Immigration, you must ask them what they will accept.
SAB123

Can i use my dad return as mine ?? For any purpose if  my dad claimed has dependent on his returns??.. Thanks
SAB123

Will that be my official tax return for particular say 2014???

You have no tax return for 2014 because you had no taxable income. Did you have other income from other sources such as SSI or SSDI that is not taxable? As SweetieJean said in her comment, you need to find out from Immigration what support is acceptable to them.
SAB123

Thanks allot for your reply . I really helped

From <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.IRS.gov">www.IRS.gov</a>  
"If you need assistance to determine if you need to file a federal income tax return for 2015, go to IRS.gov and use the Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA). You can find the ITA by going to IRS.gov and entering “interactive tax assistant” in the search box."

My taxes were rejected last year what do I do. I didnt know
Carl
Level 15

Looks like the only reason you would file a return, would be to get any withheld taxes refunded to you. The below information should help you understand.

Understand that figuring out who claims the student as a dependent, and determining who claims the education expenses & credits, is two different determinations. It depends on the specific situation as outlined below.

Here’s the general rules gisted from IRS Publication 970 at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

If the student:

Is under the age of 24 on Dec 31 of the tax year and:

Is enrolled in an undergraduate program at an accredited institution and:

Is enrolled as at least a half time student for one academic semester that begins during the tax year, (each institution has their own definition of a half time student) and:

the student did not  provide more that 50% of the student's own support (schollarships/grants received by the student do not count as the student providing their own support)

Then:

The parents will claim the student as a dependent on the parent's tax return and:

The parents will claim all schollarships, grants, tuition payments, and the student's 1098-T on the parent's tax return and:

The parents will claim all educational tax credits that qualify.

If the student will be filing a tax return and:

The parents qualify to claim the student as a dependent, then:

The student must select the option for "I can be claimed on someone else's return", on the student's tax return. The student must select this option ieven f the parent's qualify to claim the student as a dependent, and the parents do not claim them.

Now here’s some additional information that may or may not affect who files the 1098-T. If the amount of scholarships/grants exceeds the amount of qualified education expenses, the parent will know this when reporting the education on their tax return, because the parent will not qualify for any of the tax credits. (They only qualify for tax credits based on out-of-pocket qualified expenses not covered by scholarships/grants.)  Also, the parent’s will not qualify for the credits depending on their MAGI which is different for each credit, and depends on the marital status of the parent or parents.

In the case where scholarships/grants covers “all” qualified education expenses, the parent’s don’t need to report educational information on their dependent student at all – but they still claim the student as a dependent if they “qualify” to claim the student.

If the scholarships/grants exceed the qualified education expenses, then the student will report the 1098-T and all other educational expenses and scholarships/grants on the student’s tax return. The student will pay taxes on the amount of scholarships/grants that are not used for qualified education expenses.However, if the student’s earned income, when added to the excess scholarships/grants does NOT exceed $6100, then the student doesn’t even need to file a tax return, and nothing has to be reported.

tlgof63
Returning Member

Carl-I have seen this answer in many questions...my question is related to your answer--my daughter has about 13000 excess scholarship above qualified expenses for 2015 and is our dependent.  Two questions really, do we parents put anything on our return ---the box 2 or box 5 or both from the 1098T--it does not sound like we do.  And, does daughter only report on line 7 of 1040ez the EXCESS amount only of the scholarships---she doesn't report the total and show qualifieds being removed to get to the EXCESS taxable amount anywhere?  I ask this because I know she cannot take Tuition or Fees deduction while a dependent but seems that in reporting on her ONLY the excess, that is in effect what is being done.  ??  thanks (additionally, picked up taxes from acct yesterday and he completely missed that daughter had excess, just thought it was even and added nor deducted anything from my taxes, so am guessing I now just need to file the EXCESS on her and pay the related tax, dependent on answers to above, just want to do it correctly).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies