Kevin-A

Wife unable to file separate state return on TurboTax Deluxe desktop

My wife and I currently live in different states so we are filing a joint federal return and separate state returns this year.  We created a "married filing joint" federal return that we e-filed successfully, and we also created "married filing separate" returns to properly feed information into the state returns on the TurboTax desktop software (these federal returns will not be filed).  I was able to e-file my state returns without issue but she is getting an error saying she cannot e-file the state return until the federal return is e-filed.  However, her federal return was already filed jointly with me.  Please let me know how to fix this so she can e-file her (NY) state return.
PatriciaV

Unfortunately, if you e-filed your federal return as Married Filing Jointly but want to file your state returns as Married Filing Separately, only one state return can be e-filed. The other will have to be paper-filed.