turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why won't Turbo Tax let me file my state tax return when I include dates for estimated taxes to be paid electronically for the 2024 tax year?

It will only let me list the date for the first estimated tax payment.  If I try to file with all four dates, it says there is an error. It wants me to remove the other three dates for the estimated tax to be paid electronically. BTW, using the Premier Version of TurboTax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Why won't Turbo Tax let me file my state tax return when I include dates for estimated taxes to be paid electronically for the 2024 tax year?

TurboTax doesn't make estimated tax payment for users.  Those payments must be made using either the federal/state websites or be submitted by mail.  Are you referring to the final 2023 estimated tax payment you made to your state (that you maybe made in January of 2024)?  

The article I'm linking below explains how to enter your estimated tax payments made.  These would be for tax year 2023.  Note that both federal and state estimated tax payments made are entered in the FEDERAL interview, and will transfer into your state return.

Where do I enter my estimated tax payments? 

I think once you've entered all of your 2023 estimated tax payments, you should be able to e-file your state return.

Here's info on how to make estimated tax payments.  TurboTax may print vouchers for you to use as a suggestion for 2024.  You'll have to determine whether or not you need to make estimated tax payments for the current year.

How do I make estimated tax payments? 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Last year, I was able to set up, through Turbo Tax 2022, estimated tax payments for the 2023 tax year. The payments came out of my checking account at the dates I had scheduled.  This year, 2023, Turbo Tax would allow me to schedule all four estimated payments before I filed, but would only allow me to schedule the first estimated tax payment (for April) if I wanted to actually e-file my return.  I don't understand why it worked last tax year, but not this year. I finally gave up and e-filed my tax return with only the first estimated tax payment scheduled. I think it is an error in the software. Why would they tell you to set up the four payments and then not allow you to e-file with those payments included?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

I have no knowledge of the capability of scheduling estimated tax payments via TurboTax.  The program WILL calculate your estimated tax payments (based on your 2023 return), and even print vouchers if you chose to mail your payments, but payments must be made through the IRS website (or state websites).

How do I make estimated tax payments? 

I will post your question where other Champs will see it, as well as TurboTax Moderators.  You may have taught me something!  Thank you for your patience, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

@kiltie42042   Is this for New York?  I believe Turbo Tax lets you schedule NY payments.  

Yes, it did successfully allow me to schedule estimated tax payments for NY the last tax year, but I cannot do the same for the 2023 tax year. 

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@kiltie42042 I'm so sorry you experienced this inconvenience.  Glad you have e-filed, and that at least that part went smoothly.  Perhaps one of the TurboTax Moderators will have an answer for you as to why things changed for NY with this year's software.  However, I do know that the states provide the software to TurboTax for assimilation into their programs.  Maybe NY has changed something about their software?  

I'm sure you can go ahead and schedule your remaining 3 estimated tax payments through the NY website.  Best of luck!

I have the same question. Last year the TT software allowed us to schedule NYS Estimated taxes but this year it only allows for 1 scheduled payment. Are there any updates to this question?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@kiltie42042 @Roberto99    I have reported this change to TurboTax Moderators and asked for an explanation.  I wouldn't expect a reply until Monday at the earliest, since this is a holiday weekend.  I'll let you know as soon as I learn anything.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@kiltie42042 @Roberto99   Thanks to TT Moderator Joey for this info.  Only TurboTax Desktop (CD/Download) allows users to schedule direct debit estimated tax payments to NY state.  Apparently the online platform does not allow scheduling of NY estimated tax payments by direct debit.  If you are using the online (web-based) platform, please use the TurboTax vouchers  and mail your payments, or schedule via NY DOR website.  See the info I'm sharing here:

How do I calculate and pay my New York estimated tax payments? 

I am using the TurboTax Desktop (CD/Download) not the online platform.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@Roberto99 Okay.  I'll report this to the Moderator.

You may want to go ahead and contact TurboTax to request assistance.  To contact TT, use the info I'm sharing below.

How do I contact TurboTax? 

I purchased the TurboTax CD which I installed on my laptop. I was unable to schedule three of the four estimated tax payments due NYS for 2024. Something is wrong with the software. TurboTax encourages you to set up estimated tax payments, then will NOT allow you to file the state tax return unless you remove all but the first estimated tax payment withdrawal.

BTW, I spent over an hour on the phone with TurboTax and the advisor had me even delete my tax return and fill it out again, but nothing worked.  I finally just had to file my return without the estimated tax payments (except the first one) scheduled. 

LISA

MontyBurns
Returning Member

I'm seeing the same issue with NY estimated tax payments and I am using the desktop product (TurboTax Premier, WinPerRelease 023 ' 000 ' 0448), so the problem is not limited to the online product. 

If I try to schedule within TurboTax more than one (of four) NY state estimated tax payments to be paid electronically, when I check the return for errors I get an error message that looks like this: 

Check This Entry

Information Worksheet: Withdrawal date: Estimated payment withdrawal date should not be entered.  Only one estimated payment is allowed to be scheduled with the return.  Go back and remove schedule payment dates in excess of one.

I've been scheduling NY tax estimates on the TurboTax desktop product since as far back as 2019, and this is definitely a new change for tax year 2023.  

The question I think everyone (including myself) here has is whether this is a software bug, or is NY State no longer allowing estimated tax payments to be scheduled through TurboTax?

I am seeing basically the same error (TurboTax Premier 2023).  It appears to be a bug, in that I could schedule all of the estimated tax payments last year (TurboTax Premier 2022).

Has anyone heard anything back from actual support?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies