gordon_geise

Why were my 2018 D.C. taxes not filed despite my having paid for filing?

I paid TurboTax $39.99 to file my 2018 taxes with the District of Columbia and TurboTax never did. Presumably I never jumped through some final hoop to make that happen, but how is it even possible I didn't get any kind of notice from TurboTax, as the deadline approached, that my state taxes were not filed yet? TurboTax took my money and provided no services. That. Is. Called. THEFT.

There is no e-file charge using the TurboTax online editions.  The TurboTax account fees are for the use of the software to assist in completing a tax return.  The account fees are the same whether a tax return is e-filed or printed.

Paying the TurboTax account fees does not file a tax return.

Did you e-file your state tax return and was it accepted?

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.

What is the status of the state tax return?  If the status is anything other than Accepted the tax return was not e-filed.  If you did not print and mail the state tax return then the return has not been filed.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the state tax return to the state.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to your state tax authority website for the mailing address.

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

When you e-file, you should expect 3 emails.  1 confirming transmission, 1 that confirms acceptance or rejection by the IRS, and a 3rd that confirms acceptance or rejection by your state (or DC in this case).  Sometimes those emails are caught in a SPAM filter, that's up to you to make sure you receive them.

If you e-file your federal return and don't e-file your state return using Turbotax online you will often get an email reminder, this can also go to spam.  If you filed using the desktop version, you don't get reminder emails, your filing is all under your control and your responsibility.

At any time after e-filing, if you log into your online account (if filing online) or if you open your tax file (if you use the desktop version) you will get an update on your filing status.  It's also certainly your responsibility to watch your bank account and notice if your tax due was not withdrawn or your refund not paid to you. 

gordon_geise

Thanks. So much for ever giving Intuit another **bleep**ing cent.