heyeonthelake

Why was my return rejected

My daughter was in college and a dependent. I also did her tax for PT job. My return was rejected due to a dependent on my return is a primary on her own return. Why? What do I do?

Rachel_W

Why was my return rejected

It sounds like you didn't indicate on your Daughter's return that she is a Dependent of Another.

At this point, in order for you to claim your Daughter as a Dependent on your return, her return will have to be Amended first.  You can click here for instructions on Amending your tax return: How to Change a Tax Return You Already Filed.

Once you begin the Amendment process, you will need to revisit the "My Info" section and click "Edit" next to her name.  As you walk through the TurboTax interview process, you need to answer "YES" to the question "Someone else can claim me as a Dependent" and "YES" to "and this person will claim me on their 2018 Tax Return".

Once her Amendment has been processed, you will be able to e-file your return.