turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

meism001

Why is TurboTax telling me to mail in Form 8949 after e-filing?

Looks like the form 8949 is already in the 26 page e-filed return...why mail the 8949 in separately?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

This is a requirement from the IRS.  The IRS states: If you e-file your return but choose not to report each transaction on a separate row on the electronic return, you must  mail the form8949 to the IRS. 

After entering your transactions, complete and file your tax return as you normally would. Be sure to follow these extra instructions:

E-filed returns – Within three days after the IRS has accepted your return, mail the Form 8949 generated by TurboTax, a copy of the summary statements provided by your broker, and the Form 8453 generated by TurboTax, to the following address:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254

For more information please visit the instructions for form 8949:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8949.pdf

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4926553

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Patrice

This is a requirement from the IRS.  The IRS states: If you e-file your return but choose not to report each transaction on a separate row on the electronic return, you must  mail the form8949 to the IRS. 

After entering your transactions, complete and file your tax return as you normally would. Be sure to follow these extra instructions:

E-filed returns – Within three days after the IRS has accepted your return, mail the Form 8949 generated by TurboTax, a copy of the summary statements provided by your broker, and the Form 8453 generated by TurboTax, to the following address:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254

For more information please visit the instructions for form 8949:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8949.pdf

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4926553

Need more information please.  I did not specify that I did not want to submit 8949, I never even saw a reference to this kind of option and would like to know why this is an option.

Did Turbo Tax default to NOT sending the IRS everything necessary and forget to prompt me regarding this, i.e. a bug?

How do I find the spot in Turbo Tax where it specifies to NOT send 8949 electronically?   

When I printed all forms for filing the 8949 is included.  Does this mean the 8949 was submitted electronically?

Thanks for the help.

If your form 8949 shows "M" in the code column, that is a summarized 8949.

The summarized form 8949 goes with your e-File (don't mail it again) ,the details are supplied by you separately.

If you have code M, you elected the mail in option, knowingly or unknowingly.

If there is no code M, then all the required details are already in your e-filed tax return. 

lulu

I have the same issues for two consecutive years...it is really annoying that I have to run to the post office to mail even if after e-filing. Could you please show us how to avoid having to mailing the form 8949? Where exactly that I can change the election?  Appreciate that if you could elaborate on it or show the screenshots of Turbotax.  

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

It could be that each transaction has not been reported on a separate row.  IRS instructions for Form 8949 provide the following with regard to the requirement to mailing a Form 8949:

• If you e-file your return but choose not to report each transaction on a separate row on the electronic return, you must either (a) include Form 8949 as a PDF attachment to your return, or (b) attach Form 8949 to Form 8453 (or the appropriate form in the Form 8453 series) and mail the forms to the IRS

Review your Form 8949 that was e-filed with your return and see whether each transaction has been reported on a separate row.  

@lulu

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lulu

Thank you very much for your answer. Yes, that must be the reason. I didn't report each transaction on a separate row. Turbotax automatically chose choice (b) for me; how can I change it to choice (a)? For choice b, I just print out the form 8949 from Turbotax and mail it to IRS. I feel this is completely waste of time. Since Turbotax already has the form 8949, why not go for choice (a)?  Or at least, it can notify me to choose between a and b, not letting me mail after I efile. 

• If you e-file your return but choose not to report each transaction on a separate row on the electronic return, you must either (a) include Form 8949 as a PDF attachment to your return, or (b) attach Form 8949 to Form 8453 (or the appropriate form in the Form 8453 series) and mail the forms to the IRS

Totally agree, same issue with me.

Turbo Tax needs to improve on this one.

If you summarize (recommended for active investors),

you only need to supply details of 1099-B covered transactions with adjustments that are not listed on your e-Filed Form 8949. and all non-covered transactions not listed there.

In other words, for active investors, generally this is a list of the Wash Sales.

You may supply details on your separate Form 8949, or other document with the same information and in the same manner as Form 8949.

Note: turboTax has started to suppress covered transactions without adjustments that you entered in detail. For those, no mailing is required !

@tiredesign 

Total fail by Turbo Tax.  How hard is it to have a pop-up or a bold statement directing users to complete the information in TT to avoid having to mail the form 8949.  Looks like this has been repeating every year based on comments here.  DO BETTER!

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you entered Sales Section Totals, you MAY need to mail Form 8949, but not always.  If: 

• The sales category for one or more summaries is something other than box A (short-term covered) or box D (long-term covered), or
  • The box A or box D summary includes adjustments (typically listed in boxes 1f or 1g on your broker statement)

Here's more info on Mailing Form 8949 for Summary Totals.

A pop-up would be handy, though.

@ecbrown1967 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies