turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is Turbo Tax giving me a 15% federal tax benefit for my mortgage interest, but my marginal tax rate is 32%?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why is Turbo Tax giving me a 15% federal tax benefit for my mortgage interest, but my marginal tax rate is 32%?

I'm guessing that before you added the mortgage interest your itemized deductions were below your standard deduction, and afterwards your itemized deductions were above the standard deduction.  If so, you would only get a tax benefit to the extent that your itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction, and not for the full amount of mortgage interest.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What makes you think that it is? Ignore the refund meter until you are finished.

I'm guessing that before you added the mortgage interest your itemized deductions were below your standard deduction, and afterwards your itemized deductions were above the standard deduction.  If so, you would only get a tax benefit to the extent that your itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction, and not for the full amount of mortgage interest.

Thank you!  That sounds like the answer...very helpful.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies