turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is Turbo Tax charging my daughter $120 to file taxes. What happened to the "Free" Turbo Tax. Bait and switch! Rip off!

My daughter signed up for the FREE Turbo Tax now it won't let her file b/c she (of course) needs to upgrade her Turbo Tax.  what a scam!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why is Turbo Tax charging my daughter $120 to file taxes. What happened to the "Free" Turbo Tax. Bait and switch! Rip off!

The TurboTax Free edition only supports simple tax returns that do not require any additional schedules. More complex tax returns will require Deluxe or higher depending on the forms that are needed.

You might be able to use the Free File (formally called Freedom Edition) for incomes under $36,000 and supports all states and most forms.

The Free File is part of the IRS Free File alliance and is totally separate from TurboTax website.

You can also access the Free File tax alliance programs via the IRS website.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

https://freefile.intuit.com/

How do I switch to TurboTax Free File?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3491786

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Same thing happened to my son's tax return.  He had NOTHING to post except for two W-2s.  No student debt, no student loans, NOTHING!!! I'm contacting my credit card company.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support to have someone review the fees with you. To get you to the right person, use the keywords billing issues​​​​​.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@cindybloom

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So this is interesting. And when my son (7k total income) was told needed to upgrade to the 89$ version, we used the “free” expert to see if what other options there were (was being triggered by the 6$ he earned on a robinhood stock fund). After asking the the free question and told he needed to upgrade, he no longer could get the 89 upgrade, he was forced into the live version ar$129. Plus a hefty increase on his state return!  And what hacks me off is reading this, the real answer was to use the free irs version!  This plus the way they f’d up my return this year, bugs in questions etc. I am done. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies