Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my child tax credit is only $1,000 instead of $4,000? I'm filing jointly and we do not make over 200,000 jointly.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Why is my child tax credit is only $1,000 instead of $4,000? I'm filing jointly and we do not make over 200,000 jointly.

The amount of the Child Tax Credit has reverted back this year to pre-Covid amounts.   The maximum per child is $2,000, and is first applied to Tax Owed, and is only refundable up to $1600.

Here's more details on the What is the Child Tax Credit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do you have 2 children?  It may be giving you the Other Dependent credit of $500 each instead of the Child Tax Credit.  Check which boxes are checked for Dependents near the top of your return.  

We have two children and I cannot find near the top where to make any other adjustments.  We should qualify for the $4000 but it is only giving me the $1000.  So confused about this one!

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

This amount suggests that it is giving you the credit for other dependents, not the child tax credit.  If your children are 16 or younger and have Social Security numbers and not ITINs, then you should be seeing the child tax credit not the other dependent credit.  

Unless they are 17 or older or have ITINs, then return to the My Info section and delete them and re-enter them (it helps to write down their SSNs before you do!)  Then be sure to read the questions carefully as some have slightly tricky wording that could cause them to be listed as "other" dependents.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

Which box is checked for Dependents?  

1040 CTC.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies