Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is it that Turbo tax requires a 5 digit PIN and the IRS requires 6? When I use the IRS PIN Turbo tax won't let it fit. Somebody needs to make turbo tax compliant with the IRS .

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why is it that Turbo tax requires a 5 digit PIN and the IRS requires 6? When I use the IRS PIN Turbo tax won't let it fit. Somebody needs to make turbo tax compliant with the IRS .

If you have a 6 digit PIN issued to you by the IRS you need to enter it in order to e-file.  Go to Federal>Other Tax Situations>Other Return Info>Identity Protection PIN and enter the six-digit PIN.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The 5 digit PIN for e-filing a tax return is any 5 digits you self-select.  It is NOT the IP PIN you received from the IRS for identity theft.

To enter, edit or delete a 6 digit IP PIN

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Other Tax Situations
Scroll down to Other Return Info
On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

TurboTax is doing exactly what the IRS requires. The IRS requires a 5-digit e-filing PIN as part of the electronic signature if you e-file your tax return. The IRS requires a 6-digit Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) if the IRS issued an IP PIN to you. They are two different PINs for two different purposes. If you got an IP PIN from the IRS, then the IRS requires you to enter both PINs in order to e-file your tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies