Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why Form 8453 checks Form 8949 to include in mailing without saying if Copy 1 or 2, and NO mention of 1099-B?

Dear TT Expert,

I have a 190 page 1099-B. During the step by step guidance, I elected to take the trouble to calculate and enter the totals to avoid the severe pain of entering the many line items from the 190 page 1099-B. TT then told me that I must mail the 1099-B with Form 8453.

After completing my return, the Filing Instructions tells me to mail to IRS Form 8453 and all forms indicating in Form 8453.

Form 8453 has a check mark next to Form 8949. I have 2 copies of Form 8949. Must I mail both copies or only Copy 2 that seems to relate to the 190 page 1099-B?

More importantly, is it sufficient to just mail Form 8453 with Copy 1 or Copy 2 or both Copies of Form 8949, without the 1099-B?

I know nothing about taxes or the inner workings of TT. Please kindly give details in plain English in your help and guidance.

Thank you so much!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Why Form 8453 checks Form 8949 to include in mailing without saying if Copy 1 or 2, and NO mention of 1099-B?

Send the full 8949.  Don't make it any harder on yourself if they have questions later.

So, the 8453 on top, then the full 8949, then the full 1099-B.  All set.

@loyal-but---user 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies