Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why does turbotax page *not* accept the value I enter in the "enter u.s. government interest" field of the 1099-DIV form?

@Reierson4 

Use the workaround that Jonesy4life posted:

"  On the page where you are entering the 1099-DIV Box 1a, 1b, and 2a - simply click the "My form has info in other boxes" checkbox.  Click continue.  On the next screen click "A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest."  Click continue.  On the next screen enter the Government interest amount.  Simply checking the "My form has info in other boxes" the error will be resolved."   

That doesn't help the folks that never see the workaround posted.....so the Software programmers still need to find a way to fix it.  But that will work for you.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
ben0
Level 2

Why does turbotax page *not* accept the value I enter in the "enter u.s. government interest" field of the 1099-DIV form?

Thank you so much!! I was stumped on this for days but  this workaround fixed it for me.

I just have this problem this week 3/28/2023.  I entered $2361 as interest from government obligations was accepted by turbo tax.  But when doing CA state tax, TurboTax does not subtract xxx from my California (540).  I tried all the suggestions from the forum but could not get it fixed.  Any suggestions.

Should I just file the state tax and send in an amendment later.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Please tell us where you entered the "interest from government obligations ". Was it on the 1099-INT screen in Box 3?

I entered an amount on a test return in Box 3, and it appeared on the CA 540 (Resident) in Part 1, line 2, which then carried to the 540 line 14 to be subtracted from CA state income.

Is it perhaps that you are not filing as a resident of CA?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My problem is that I need to report this amount as 1099-DIVIDENT .  Not 1099-Interest.

The amount that needed to report is DIVIDENT (from Vanguard US inflation protected security fund). I entered the amount in box 1,  then click 'a portion of the interest is US gorvernment', then enter the amount in box 1 in the next screen as US gorvernment interested.

I test by reporting this amount as US interest in box 3 of form 1099-INT.  I worked.  Turbotax upload this amount to tax form CA(540) in the subtraction.  This resulted in more than $200 increase in my CA tax refund.  However, I worry that if I reported the amount in form 1099-INT,  the total dividends in my tax report would be less than the amount reported to IRS; this may get me in trouble.

@Bsch4477 

Any chance you could check this out on your CA software?

When some, or all of the $$ in box 1a of a 1099-DIV form get entered on the follow up page as being from US Govt bond interest, does it get properly removed from CA income?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

In my Home and Business program I entered $1,000 in ordinary and qualified dividends. The next screen asked if any amount was from US obligations. I clicked yes and entered $1,000. California Sch CA reflects the subtraction of the $1,000 from California income on line 3. 

Talked to customer support for 2 hour, they finally suggested to clear and redo the tax.  Luckily turbotax will not allow me to do it because I already paid the fee.  Finally, solved problem by:

edit state tax

edit CA adjustments

enter a dividend line for CA Subtraction:  Vanguard INF PRO SEC  $XXX 

The $xxx was added to my CA (540) subtraction collumn.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies