Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does the IRS tax table show a lower amount as tax, than what Turbo tax calculated?

TT says

AGI $92,596

Taxable Income: $64,895

But the tax calculated by TT for married filing jointly is: $9021

When I look at the tax tables on IRS 1040, I see $7345

I do not have capital gains or losses.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Why does the IRS tax table show a lower amount as tax, than what Turbo tax calculated?

Usually it's the other way around, Turbo Tax is lower.  

There are like 7 different ways to calculate the tax.
It depends what kind of income you have. Even though the full amount shows up in the total income on the 1040 line 7, if you have capital gains or qualified dividends the tax is not taken from the tax table but is calculated separately from Schedule D. The tax will be calculated on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet. It does not get filed with your return. In the online version you need to save your return as a pdf file and include all the worksheets to see it.

Thank you for your reply - I tried to edit my question to add more details

What line is the $9,021 on?  The tax should be on line 16.  Then you might have some other taxes on lines 17-23.  Like the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty on IRA & 401k etc.  or  self employment tax or something else.  Check all the lines on your return.  Which don't you understand?  Do the credits, withholdings and payments look right?  

I haven't paid for it yet, so it will not show me the entire 1040 form. I am using the Deluxe online version.

When I click on "Explain my Taxes" at the top, it brings up a section on the right of the screen and here is what it shows:

TurboTax.jpg

Yeah you really need to look at your tax return, not a summary or review screen.  You should be able to see enough of your return doing a preview

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

No, that is not true. When I follow your linked instructions and go to Print Center and click on Preview, I see

TurboTax Print Center
Like to print your return now?
Simply select Pay now and we’ll walk you through using your credit card to pay for TurboTax, then help you print your return.
Planning to use your federal refund to pay for TurboTax?
Select Pay later below, and we’ll help with selecting that payment method and printing your return in just a bit.

@goodnewsforyou 

You can view your Form 1040 plus Schedules 1, 2 and 3 at any time using the online editions. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Thank you! I see now that it says

Line 16: $7345

Line 17: 

Amount from Schedule 2, line 3: $1676

On schedule 2, I see
Excess advance premium tax credit repayment. Attach Form 8962:  $1676

I lost my job last year and we had health insurance from Marketplace.
But when I tried to calculate form 8962 myself, I do not see any additional taxes.
I called healthcare.gov and they gave me the annual amounts for the 1095-A
but TT does not have such a row. I am wondering if TT has calculated this "excess" incorrectly.

to add:
I tried to calculate form 8962 myself and get on line 26 Part 2 , a credit of $948... but TT says I have a penalty of $1676 :(

Net premium tax credit. If line 24 is greater than line 25, subtract line 25 from line 24. Enter the difference here and  on Schedule 3 (Form 1040), line 9. If line 24 equals line 25, enter -0-. Stop here. If line 25 is greater than line 24,

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The excess doesn't come from the adding of the columns.  Instead, it relates to how much of the net premium tax credit exceeds the allowed amount based on your income and family size.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies