turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shane5

Why does my federal return say my total refund is only $559.00 when my federal return is $1265 and your fees I agreed to are only $180.00

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why does my federal return say my total refund is only $559.00 when my federal return is $1265 and your fees I agreed to are only $180.00

Where exactly are you seeing $559?

Federal and state are completely separate.  But at the end Turbo Tax shows you the net combined amount.  How much do you owe or get back on state?
ChristieB

If the total amount of your refund (both federal and state together) is not what you received, you might have only received just your federal refund or just your state refund. These refunds will arrive in two separate transactions because they are handled by two separate agencies (the IRS and your state tax agency). 

If this amount was for only one refund (federal or state) and the amount was less than what was submitted on your return (after subtracting TurboTax fees), this means that they could have made a change to your return that has impacted your refund, or they could need more information to finish processing part of your refund. Another possibility is that it was partly taken in order to offset a prior debt owed.

In all of the situations above, you will receive a letter explaining exactly what happened, what additional information they might need (if any) and contact information. You could also call the IRS or your state tax agency before receiving this letter, they might be able to access your account and explain what happened. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies