Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does my federal refund reflect the state tax was paid with it, however, my state tax still shows owing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Why does my federal refund reflect the state tax was paid with it, however, my state tax still shows owing?

What you are seeing on the TurboTax Home page is just the Net between your refund and the taxes owed.  It in no way indicates that the taxes owed were paid from the refund, that cannot happen.

No.  You can't have a state tax due deducted from your federal refund.  Never.  You can only have the Turbo Tax fees deducted from your refund.  See,  Can I pay my state taxes from my federal refund?

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbotax logo.  If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay.  Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-fo...

And Turbo Tax will always say the tax due.  It doesn't know if or when you pay the tax due.  And the IRS or state doesn't update Turbo Tax when they get your payment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies