ngolfer30

WHY DOES MY CA REFUND GO UP WHEN I CHECK THE BOX FOR PAID FAMILY LEAVE?

We had a baby this year ... my company offered 2 weeks of PFL in addition to additional PTO that I took right after he was born. I also signed up for California State Disability through EDD and received a 1099G from them. I'm curious why my California State Tax Refund goes way up just by using 2 weeks of PFL from my work. I don't really have any paperwork from my work showing this change besides my pay stubs, so I'd be concerned about an audit. Thanks!

TerryA

That sounds like your employer paid for (some of) your time off. PFL paid by an employer is not excludable from Calif income - it must be paid from the Calif SDI program (that's the 1099-G you received) or the employer's voluntary plan (VPDI) to be excluded from Calif income.

Edit that TT/federal W-2 and uncheck the box for This is a PFL W-2 (or whatever it says) since it isn't qualified PFL for Calif purposes.

TerryA