Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ngolfer30

WHY DOES MY CA REFUND GO UP WHEN I CHECK THE BOX FOR PAID FAMILY LEAVE?

We had a baby this year ... my company offered 2 weeks of PFL in addition to additional PTO that I took right after he was born. I also signed up for California State Disability through EDD and received a 1099G from them. I'm curious why my California State Tax Refund goes way up just by using 2 weeks of PFL from my work. I don't really have any paperwork from my work showing this change besides my pay stubs, so I'd be concerned about an audit. Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

That sounds like your employer paid for (some of) your time off. PFL paid by an employer is not excludable from Calif income - it must be paid from the Calif SDI program (that's the 1099-G you received) or the employer's voluntary plan (VPDI) to be excluded from Calif income.

Edit that TT/federal W-2 and uncheck the box for This is a PFL W-2 (or whatever it says) since it isn't qualified PFL for Calif purposes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

That sounds like your employer paid for (some of) your time off. PFL paid by an employer is not excludable from Calif income - it must be paid from the Calif SDI program (that's the 1099-G you received) or the employer's voluntary plan (VPDI) to be excluded from Calif income.

Edit that TT/federal W-2 and uncheck the box for This is a PFL W-2 (or whatever it says) since it isn't qualified PFL for Calif purposes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies