Why do I need to put my husband information if I'm...

Why do I need to put my husband information if I'm filing separately?

Depends on if you have changed  your last name to his legal last name, at your local Social Security office.  Also dependant upon if you took his last name and when, and your filing status.  If you are filing sep. I suggest filing 'single' or 'Head Household'  with your existing last name prior to marriage, as long as it has not been changed with social security.

Let me know if you find out differently.  Beth

When you are married filing separately, the IRS will cross reference your returns. It is required that you both filed itemized or both file standard deduction. It is not allowed for each of you to file differently on those deductions.

The name on your social security card has nothing to do with your return. You must file based on your marital status and living arrangements. Please go through the questions and answer them correctly in the program.