turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mjes9399

Why do I have to upgrade to file a ex file basic return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CassandraLO
Intuit Alumni

If you started with the Federal Free Edition product and are being prompted to upgrade, you very likely need the Deluxe program or higher to properly file your return.

TurboTax Free Edition (and TurboTax Live Basic) are intended for taxpayers with very simple returns that can fit on the new 1040 form without any schedules.

If we detect that your tax situation requires expanded coverage, like deductions for owning a home or self-employment income, we'll prompt you to upgrade to a version that supports the forms you need so we can maximize your tax deductions and ensure you file an accurate return.

Depending on what your tax situation was last year, you might need to use new tax forms to claim the same deductions, credits, or forms of income. Some of the situations that are now in TurboTax Deluxe and TurboTax Live Deluxe, instead of in Free Edition, include:

Go here for more info on which forms are included in TurboTax Free Edition.

mjes9399

I don't understand why I have to do a 1040 . I'm a single person , no dependants nothing.
CassandraLO
Intuit Alumni

This is due to IRS tax form changes. As part of Tax Reform, the three different 1040 forms (1040EZ, 1040A and 1040) have been replaced with a new Form 1040, and six new schedules, Schedule 1-6.

Page 1 of the new 1040 has general information about you, your spouse, your dependents and filing status, as well as signatures and the bottom of the page. The second page is a summary of all schedules and forms and each section of the 1040 is now in a new schedule. For instance, if you have student loan interest, it’s not at the bottom of the first page anymore, it’s on Schedule 1.

TurboTax is up-to-date with the latest changes and we’ll help guide you through your taxes.
mjes9399

I have just a ira so is that why I have to do it? And now I have to pay to so my taxes?
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you contributed to your IRA this year and are eligible for the Retirement Savings Credit, you'll need Schedule 3 with your return, and will need to upgrade. If you contributed to a Traditional IRA and are deducting your contribution, that requires Schedule 1.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies