Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I have to owe taxes

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

There can be any number of reasons, but the most likely is that you didn't claim enough allowances on your Form W-4. 

Not claiming enough allowances results in too little withholding from your paycheck, and eventually owing money once you file your tax return.

Please see the TurboTax Help Video: Why Do I Owe on My Tax Return?  for information.

We're unable to see your return in this forum, so we can only speculate.

Did you receive any unemployment comp in 2020?  It's taxable, but you might not have had any taxes withheld from it.

Unemployment? Nope. I am employed with two jobs. 

Not enough allowances? Meaning?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Essentially, when you start a job, you are asked to complete a Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Certificate. 

Sample W-4 Form

This form is used to help you determine how many dependents you have, your filing status, the amount of deductions you will have or expect to have on your income tax return, as well as whether you want extra withholdings on each pay period.  All of these entries are then used to help determine how much should be withheld in federal and state income taxes on your paycheck.

These withholdings are then submitted to the taxing agencies and subsequently reported on your W-2 forms.  If you have enough withheld in federal and state income taxes, the amount you owe when filing your income tax return is minimal. 

If you had enough taxes withheld, you will get a refund.

If you did not have enough withheld, you will owe taxes when you file your income tax return.

If you determine based upon your tax return for 2020 that you owe money to the taxing agencies, you can update your W-4 form with your employer.  Please see the link below for additional information on how to update your W-4 form.

How to update your W-4 in TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies