Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I copy/paste passwords into the import brokerage logon screen?

It seems ridiculous to me that this problem has now persisted for at least 3 years.  In addition to not being able to copy and paste strong passwords from a password manager, you can't see what is being typed into the password field as you type, making errors highly likely. I've been a TurboTax customer since the 90's, and if there is no satisfactory response from Intuit, this problem is so frustrating that I think that the only solution is to go with a competitor's product. I don't want to have to install another program, such as Auto Hot Key, just to be able to copy and paste the password.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

We do this to add a layer of security to our software.  If you wish to speak with us directly regarding this, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This doesn't add security at all.   It adds frustrations to your users.   We gain security on our accounts by using complex passwords, which, as a result, are difficult to type manually.   There is nothing gained in terms of security by making us manually type complex passwords.   Fix this already.   We are the users, if we don't want to paste passwords we won't.

This is really frustrating.

Using password managers that create many character passwords makes Inuit seem archaic in that we cannot copy/paste these highly secure passwords.

How about TT interfacing with the leading pwd managers ?

@bgambrill 

Have you tried Ctrl+C for copy and Ctrl+V for paste?

I agree.  For anyone who uses software to create and track passwords this is a MAJOR inconvenience and defeats a major part of using this software.

Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V does not work.  Also right-click paste is not available.  

Already got five badges while searching for solution to this copy/paste problem.  That's depressing.

This doesn't add any security, if anything it lessens security because users have to paste the password in a temporary location so they can type it in, instead of directly from password manager to the entry field where password manager will remove it from clipboard automatically.  Please fix this, there is no valid reason for this.

This is terrible! I use a password manager with scrambled passwords. This is hurting security because people are going to change all of their passwords to "Password1!"!

Thank you for the reply, but this is completely unreasonable.

Whoever made this decision at Intuit needs some training in security.

This "reason" is completely invalid.

Others have explained why. 

Do you still not get it or shall I try to explain more thoroughly why password managers and pasting passwords enhance security?

Disabling ability to paste passwords worsens security!

Hello!?  Intuit?  This is the 21st Century calling.  People do not type in strong passwords by hand.  This is not a feature, but a bug.  It does nothing to increase security, and in fact works against it, since it encourages people to use weaker passwords when they know they will have to type them in.  Absolutely astounding Dunning-Kruger nominee.

Yes.  Control V has been intentionally disabled!   GRRRRRRrrrrr

I second the motion!!!!!!   I am tired of being unable to copy and paste in passwords on imports!  I use 25-50 character long passwords (i.e. a random scramble) generated by password manager software for safety!.  Intuit year after year force me to degrade my security level just to import data.  I, too, have used Turbo tax for decades and as soon as a viable alternative become available, I'll change provider unless copy and paste is enabled!!!  Is anyone listening at Intuit?  Other companies have dealt with these issue years ago...

dljusa

This limit is counterproductive, absurd, and a deal breaker.  Good bye.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies