turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why can't I copy/paste passwords into the import brokerage logon screen?

First time user of Turdo Tax. Can't copy and paste passwords???? Stupid!  

Been a problem for years.  And as you can see from the 100's (maybe 1000's at this point?) posts about it, Intuit doesn't give a cr*p and won't be fixing this anytime soon ever.

This is ridiculous.. I have a 28 character random app-specific password for my brokerage firm, and I have to manually type it in instead of pasting from my password manager?  OR - I can install some 3rd party unknown piece of software to allow pasting? 

I gave up.  My 1099-B all downloaded all the individual transactions anyway which is a huge pain.  So I just type in the summary/totals now.

That's often just 2 entries short/long reported per firm.  Sometimes a third for long term unreported.

- - - edit - - -

That's brokerage statements.  Would still be a large help for me to download from banks

We are constantly told to use LONG, RANDOM passwords, especially on financial accounts.

I use a password generator to make the longest passwords allowed, usually 32 characters or more.

I challenge a TurboTax employee to type this password correctly in one try in 2 minutes:

R%cGH5AZzfePBzS3u7zkeF1L5GYgE*OC

I have 7 accounts that I would like to import and they all have passwords similar to the one shown.

Not permitting the pasting of passwords actually encourages people to use shorter and less secure passwords.

Two things.

Huge pain, but you can change your financial password to something simple and then change it back after the import.  Considered doing this but didn't.

The other thing about passwords.  I do something similar but I change the length.  My password manager has a duration I can set so I set it differently for each financial institution.  Say 180 days for bank1 and 163 days for bank two.   When the password manager tells me its time to redo the password, I vary the length up or down a bit.  So if I got hacked, the crooks have no idea when any password will expire or how long a new one might be.  I figure anything I can do to make things more confusing it better.

david392

Try keyboard entry: Ctrl + C for copy, and Ctrl + V for paste

The post is several years old.  10 pages of replies.

Ctrl+C/V has absolutely already been tried.

This is a serious software defect that turbo tax simply refuses to address for reasons none of us will likely ever understand.

I asked this question possibly 3 years ago and turbotax is not doing anything about it.  They say it is for security purposes.  I was told, via the message board,  that using the download option downloads more information than is actually needed.  Anyway,  I just enter the information manually as if the option to download was not even available.  There a post on  using another way to accomplish the cut and paste.  This issue should have been fixed when first reported.

Or switch to using their Online product.  For 2022 taxes, I am using TurboTax Premier Online.  Since it is browser-based, it will take a Copy/Paste.

This post is several years old.  Since then, I have discovered that TurboTax Premier Online DOES allow copy/paste.  For future messages, I will be clear as to which class of product I am talking about.

Thanks for the information on TurboTax Premium online.  

Thanks for that tip!

>That's often just 2 entries short/long reported per firm.  Sometimes a third for long term unreported.

There are also codes "C" and "F"; I got a "C" from TD Ameritrade this year, short term "Form 1099-B not received".  This was the result of a "Choice Financial Group" CD, a 2 month CD which matured in December.  Clearly there were no capital gains or losses (duh, it's a CD) and the interest goes on the 1099-INT.  Yet another example of a US tax regime that introduces unnecessary complexity for the benefit of companies like, well, let me put it this way, it's relevant to this thread for precisely that reason.

>Or switch to using their Online product.  For 2022 taxes, I am using TurboTax Premier Online.  Since it is browser-based, it will take a Copy/Paste.

It's perfectly possible to block paste in a web page:

https://www.w3docs.com/snippets/javascript/how-to-disable-text-selection-copy-cut-paste-and-right-cl...

Of course if they did that they would make people not want to use their premier product.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies