Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why can't I copy/paste passwords into the import brokerage logon screen?

This year they changed the way I login to my brokerage to open a separate browser window. In that separate browser window, which opens in my brokerage account, I had no problem pasting from my password manager. The old method they used last year where you had to past your credentials into TT directly, never allowed it and I'm guessing many of you are having the same problem this year based on the volume of notifications in this thread.

I expected to use autohotkey again, had it loaded, but not enabled, but I didn't need it this year.

It's a decent workaround for the problem, you only need to enable it when you want to use it, then you can disable it again via it's icon in the system tray. Search backwards in the thread for instructions on how to use the autohotkey workaround.

-David

wscott23

A year later and still broken after super clear feedback.

It's pretty frustrating that I can't copy MY 20-digit password into MY tax return software!  It's a pretty easy fix, and there are SEVERAL posts on this subject.

This is absolutely stupid.  The issue continues again for another year.  Fix this poorly thought through user interface and allow pasting of passwords.  As many others have complained for the past two years, with the need for long complex passwords, retyping those from LastPass or other password managers is ludicrous.  Fix it, TurboTax!

Hotkey fix works well!  Thanks for this @jbowler !   I agree it is better to use Control-Alt-V - as Control-Shift-V has been taken already by Windows as you mention for unformatted paste (I do use that in yahoo mail quite frequently).  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to you and @ReinaK for posting these fine fixes in the wake of TurboTax's lack of response.

Thank you!

One of the comments goes into a little more detail (thank you, @mafahiim)- If you've never used AutoHotkey before (I hadn't).

Caff
Level 1

This is still broken in 2023. Clearly no one at Intuit really cares about user experience or password security. 

Yes, password security.

Why is this more insecure? Well in order to type in your password, you have to have you password on-screen for a long time, especially when you use complex passwords. For example, my Edward Jones password is a 30 character string of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. I manage my passwords via Bitwarden, so normally I just select autofill and go. For non-browser apps, can just copy my password to clipboard and paste it in, with the password never being displayed. It's like this for all apps, except for some stupid reason TurboTax.

Thanks for nothing, Intuit! The lack of support is palpable.

Edit: Here's some more beef to share. After troubleshooting login issues with an Edward Jones customer support rep, I found out that a) TurboTax's password field has "issues" with special characters, and b) does not accept passwords over 20 characters (it truncates them before using them, lol). Knowing that, I logged into my EJ account and changed my password to something short, entered that into TT, imported my files, then went back to EJ and updated my account password.

So, there you go. That's your workaround for this program's really crappy password field implementation that's been an issue for years.

Caff
Level 1

Lol, well that's just plain wrong. Pasting is blocked for some reason, "expert".

Thanks, Intuit employee of the year.

Yeah, just install and configure some third party app. Because, of course, everyone is like you.

There are 128 replies on this subject.  Are any of them from Intuit?  I'd sure like to know why this is still an issue.  Maybe there's a good reason?  Let's hear it.

>Lol, well that's just plain wrong. Pasting is blocked for some reason, "expert".

@Caff  "some reason", which you apparently don't know.  The few Intuit people who have commented on this thread and the other one on the same issue say the reason is "security", then no explanation as to how this improves rather than reduces security.  So take a look at the answer you replied to and consider my password on this forum, which, somewhat modified for real security, is:

zB6V?sV7XYQth4FyB7V71&lKPG&h#J

Try to type that in and get it right.

For the people who encounter this thread as a result of hitting this problem in the current month as the various brokerage companies produce the information we need to fill in our tax returns the very first thing to remember is that:

Most of the time you do not need, or want, or benefit from, a download by Intuit of all your brokerage information.

For years it has been possible to simply provide a summary because the IRS already has all this information from your financial institution.  Entering it again is error prone and unnecessary.

For the first time this tax year (2022) TurboTax sort-of acknowledges this by providing a method in step-by-tedious-step to enter the summary, not the individual transactions.  Your tax return can decrease to 10% or less of its size if you do not download.  Why on earth would you not do this?  Why try to tell the IRS stuff they already know?

If you must download the info (keep asking why you are doing this):

1. Download "autohotkey" https://www.autohotkey.com/, or go to the Microsoft Windows store and search for "AutoHotkey Store Edition".
  2. Read the instructions (which are not at all complicated, unlike the above password).
  3. Use this script:

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.

; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.

SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.

SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

; This was ctrl-shift-v, seems that Microsoft has hijacked this sequence:

; ^+v::Send {Raw}%clipboard%

; This is ctrl-alt-v

^!v::Send {Raw}%clipboard%​

The above was entered into this reply by copying it from the my "TypeClipboard.ahk" file and then typing Control+Alt+v.

Always remember that TurboTax is free and therefore has no support, whereas you just paid for AutoHotKey so can reasonably expect some support.  If all the people who use AutoHotKey so that they can actually use TurboTax, certainly thousands, maybe tens or hundreds of thousands of people, simply paid Intuit $10 for what they got for free Intuit would be very rich.

First, a question. Does that account summary require you to send paper forms of individual transactions? Every time I have entered the 1099-B summary manually, it has prompted for a paper copy to be sent.

Next, I have a core belief that I should not have to buy additional software in order to make TurboTax functional.

Finally, I have paid for TurboTax for the last 25 years. I can’t see how to get these features for ‘free’.

First, a question. Does that account summary require you to send paper forms of individual transactions?

No; the instructions are now in TurboTax 2022 step-by-step if you do not download.  Enter manually; it will ask if you want to enter the summary (and give you help, sort of, in the TT way).

If you use forms the rules have been there since the IRS made the change and have always been clearly explained on Schedule D line 1a (short term gain/loss) and line 8a (long term gain/loss).  Of course TurboTax makes this complicated by introducing a totally unnecessary "Form 1099-B Worksheet".

Every time I have entered the 1099-B summary manually, it has prompted for a paper copy to be sent.

TurboTax makes navigating "forms" difficult but so far as the financial institution stuff is concerned I've almost always found that "error check" would point to the problem areas.  I did have one case of TT getting it wrong and submitting a manifestly incorrect return around 2002; the numbers did not add up in form for crediting foreign taxes on dividends.  TT submitted it but the IRS never accepted it, I got a letter in October from the IRS...

Finally, I have paid for TurboTax for the last 25 years. I can’t see how to get these features for ‘free’.

The last paragraph in the post which you replied to was sarcastic; TurboTax isn't free and AutoHotKey is.  My core belief is more general than yours; paid programs should be supported.  If they are manifestly non-functional as in this case the bug should be fixed.  For years Intuit have ignored or dismissed this bug and we have had to work round using third party software to make TT functional.  Entering the summary information is a way of avoiding the need to install AutoHotKey and it's a way that has additional benefits, such as not giving Intuit a whole load of information they don't need to know.

Thanks for the clarification. I am still waiting on forms, so I’m crossing my fingers.

This is on of the issues in TT that pushed me to make the move to another competitor. I made the move this year and never been happier

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies