turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I copy/paste passwords into the import brokerage logon screen?

With the move to long, complex, unique passwords and I expect many people using password managers to store them.  Why doesn't Turbo Tax allow these passwords to be pasted into the appropriate box on the import screen.  Running on Windows 10.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

159 Replies
DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Try to use the CTRL+V shortcut to paste those passwords into TurboTax.   

If you need further assistance, 

Please use this link to reach technical support:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/ 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

FYI - CNTRL-V does not work.  Neither does Edit-Paste from the menu bar, and right clisking on the entry does not bring up a drop-down menu.

All of these approaches DO work for User Name immediately above, so this lock-down appears to be intentional. 

As mentioned in the original question, using long complex random passwords that are difficult to input makes this VERY DIFFICULT (not to mention incredibly annoying).  The fact that TurboTax does not remember passwords, meaning they have to be inputted every time you  use this function, only makes it much much worse. 

Any help in unlocking paste for this function would be greatly appreciated.

I am having the exact same frustration - please allow paste in the password field.  My passwords are very long complex passwords.

You should allow the pasting of passwords throughout your product, especially where you are importing data from your banks/brokerages. There is a common misconception that this is enhances security of your product, however, there is no evidence to back this up. In fact, there is a NIST Digital Identity guideline from 2017 that encourages copy/paste of passwords in conjunction with long/complex passwords. https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-63b.pdf

I hope you take this into consideration for your next version. A patch to the 2019 version would be really appreciated.

I agree.  This is not a new issue this year, and we complained about it before.  Why has it not been fixed?

Has this issue been resolved if not will it be soon?

the field is unpastable. They have to do something specific to block it and they have!

Resolved? they first have to care about it and acknowledge the issue which they haven't done for years!

this is truly absurd and I recall complaining about it last year and probably years in the past. It's unfathomable that they refuse to acknowledge this and just fix it. Maybe somebody believed it's a security feature? But it really isn't. (If they are worried about automated attacks using this form, there's lots of other ways to detect and prevent that.)

Donna - are you monitoring your response -- and the subsequent user feedback here?  Does Intuit have any update to this issue?????

+1! This is such an annoying issue -- either A) you delight in penalizing people who have strong, unique passwords for all their sites, or B) you expect people to dumb down their passwords, or C) I'm missing the rationale since the pinned answer completely misses the mark.

My Intuit support ID is [social security number removed], but I am not going to wait the 45 minutes to be told that nothing can be done.  Donna, to be very clear, the community aggravation is that we are being told incorrect information, which  causes us to question any answer that comes from Intuit.  That, coupled with an indefensible security stance, bothers those of us who have been using TurboTax for decades and take security seriously.

So, what we are truly asking for is a TurboTax review of this policy of disallowing copy/paste into brokerage accounts, while still allowing it for Intuit.

I have the same concern. I have very long, complex passwords for security purposes. It is almost impossible to type them in accurately. I have tried 3 times but have not been successful. You would think they would at least allow an option to show the password as you type it so you can correct type errors.

Please fix this problem.

It is not a security feature, otherwise, how would they explain that it is available in the online products?!

In other words, if you are using TurboTax online product, you can easily paste the password in that field to import your data. Make it available in the desktop products, people!

I have found Ctrl V works for me using desktop version, but only when I copy the password when it's visible in my password manager when I copy it. In other words, not just copying the .................., I make it visible, then copy with Ctrl C. This is not the only site I've had to do this with..........my bank and brokerage firms are the same way, some others I've run in to as well.

This has gone on for years with absolutely no one listening.  As pointed out above this restriction adds no security enhancement but does add a lot of frustration e.g.,  trying to type in a 25 character machine-generated password.  For some of my accounts it actually easier to type in all the data from the tax forms than it is to type in the password.  Please listen to the community and change this restriction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies