turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why can't I copy/paste passwords into the import brokerage logon screen?

If you are comfortable with some simple scripting, you can create your own autohotkey script to individually type out each character from your clipboard.

This one-line script will map CTRL-SHIFT-V to type out what you would normally paste:

^+v::Send {Raw}%clipboard%

I've used this to copy/paste passwords from my password manager into TurboTax's import login screen for the past couple years.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Thanks for sharing this information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I installed the software. but not sure where to add this line! Does it require coding education?

You need to create the script. It's just a plain text file, but with a .ahk extension.
Copy that line into the script, save it, and run it. Now you should be able to paste-via-typing by using the CTRL-SHIFT-V shortcut. When you are finished, you can close the script via the systray menu icon.

Edit to add, more information can be found in the documentation.

Thanks for you response. That will work very well. I appreciate your help.

You are a legend, saved me from trying to write a program to do this, thank you.

Man, you are awesome!

None of that should be necessary!  CTRL C and CTRL V (or the Mac equivalent) should be all that is needed!

Should - but did not work on Windows 10 at least.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You might want to enter the information manually. Here are the steps: 

In TurboTax online, 

• Sign in to your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "1099div" and Enter
  • Select Jump to 1099div
  • Follow prompts
  • On-screen, Let's get your tax info, select I'll type it myself
  • Follow prompts

Use the same instructions for 1099int or 1099b

@DSolimano

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I used autohotkey - it worked perfectly!  Thanks for posting it.

It's more than annoying.   it's utterly rediculous.   the error message says to verify the password you entered,  but you can't see what you entered!    

This is totally unacceptable.  at a minimum allow the user to show the password.   TT's error message says to verify the password entered.   that's impossible because the characters are hidden.     with the requirement for very long and complicated passwords everywhere this really pisses me off.   I have a multitude of documents from various financial accounts and entering tax forms manually is NOT an option.  there are other tax software packages around.  unless this is changed next year will be the first in 20 years that I don't use TT.  

Intuit

Disabling paste / CTRL-V CREATES a security hazard by encouraging people to use shorter, easier-to-type passwords.  Most security-aware people use password managers that create very complex passwords.  Part of the process of using a password manager is to cut and paste.

Please, join the rest of the software industry and remove this [removed] inane stumbling block in your software.  It's completely, totally ineffective.

IS ANYONE AT INTUIT LISTENING TO THIS THREAD??

Let me just repeat the "AutoHotkey" work round, it really is horrible and perhaps might itself be a security hole (if someone knows you are running it) but it does work.  What it actually does is to add a new "hot key" into Windows which is activated by ctrl+shift+v, as opposed to ctrl+v.  Instead of pasting the clipboard (as ctrl-v does) it actually reads the clipboard contents and then "types" them, exactly as (for example) the on-screen keyboard "types" in response to mouse clicks on the OSK keys.

To get this you download AutoHotkey (link above, there is also a third-party build in the Microsoft Store but read the description carefully before choosing that.)  You then install AutoHotKey, go to your "Documents" directory and create a new script (right click/New/AutoHotkey Script).  This gives you a new file called "New AutoHotkey Script.ahk", right click on that and select "Edit Script" then paste the magic line from above in at the end:

^+v::Send {Raw}%clipboard%

Save the file and double click it.  From this point on ctrl-shift-v is going to laboriously type whatever is in the clipboard into wherever the focus is, hence the security issue; it is very easy to have a lot of stuff on the clipboard such that typing it all in might take a very long time.  Try copying this message, which is quite small, then using ctrl-shift-v and ctrl-v to paste it into notepad to see the difference.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies